Thursday, January 29, 2009

Fairy Tale Artifacts...

First project of the new semester, I was assigned a fairy tale written by the infamous Grimm brothers. Based on this story and notes made in our opus/sketchbook I had to make an artifact that embodied our story without putting it in a completely literal sense.


With courage of the youth, wisdom of the snakes, and loyalty of the servant, the youth himself was able to survive the perils thrown his way in the story.



When considering the story, I focused more on archetypal story means, and even more on archetypal colors to help me create my artifact. Since courage was something I took as most important in the story for the main character, I automatically thought of a knight in armor. With this thought I decided to create a knight's gauntlet, but instead of making it armor-like I made it more as a glove/fabric piece and in the final model used red (symbolist of courage and sacrifice) and blue (symbolist of wisdom and loyalty) as contrasting colors in my piece.



Items: Fabric from give-away box, blue soft ribbon, blue/red/white thread...
Ribbons are adjustable to fit just about anyone's arm, including my own. :)

No comments: