Sunday, February 15, 2009

3D Black and White

The first iteration and test model of my 3D black and white creation.
The directions were to construct a black and white 3D sculpture/representation of either our fairytale or of a creation story used in our wall vignettes using a 8"x8" black plane, a 8"x8" white plane, and an uncut linear element of our choosing. I chose to use my fairytale because I knew the details better and because I felt there was more to work with.

I chose to craft a pyramid out of black illustration board, white bond paper, and a left over skewer painted to match the black paper. I chose to represent to perils and triumphs of my fairytale along with the lights and darks. The dark jagged and sharp shapes the black paper takes represent the perils of the story and darkness that tries to cage in the light and quell the good things in the fairytale while the white curly tendrils represent the light and the good things that happen through the story. The white tendrils weave in and out of the jagged triangular cut outs to show that though there is darkness, there is still light and good things going on and one side of the pyramid is exploding outward allowing the 'light' to b unrestrained to represent the fact that good triumphs in the end of the fairytale. The linear element excentuates the exploding light by directing your eye with the contrasting light white color rather then just providing structure to the product like the first iteration did.

Also I chose to have the light exploding out the side rather then the top of the form because I thought it created a stronger effect and emotion. Also it made it look less like a volcano exploding and more like a 3D piece that told a story.

No comments: