Friday, October 10, 2008

Unity Project II


After the critique in class on Wednesday, the Understanding Unity project has officially come to an end. For this project I ended up making 5 different models to finally reach my goal. In the first model I started out doing a stacked box and plane shape that was more in characteristic of geometric shapes (The middle one in the picture above), but as I got half way through it I got frustrated when the design continued to fall apart and so I gave up on it and began trying to think of another, stronger, unity design. I thought about the other sketch-models I had seen already finished, most of them were based on geometric shapes as well and so I tried to come up with something more organic and curvilinear. In the end I ended up with a project with 12 curves, 6 on one side and 6 on another with two skewers used as the mid-point axis and the other 10 placed in the curves of the model. Also the model was laying down on its side, but in playing with it even more I found that it could stand on an end and make a diagonal axis.


For attempt number three I just remade the previous model and tried to do something different with the 10 skewers that weren't supporting the middle axis of the structure, I ended up alternating them up and down in a zigzag pattern to give more the effect of unity in the project and movement of the sticks with the curves. Though with this model, maybe because of the weight balance, I could not get it to stand up on its diagonal axis.


For model number 4 I decided to tweak my project even more by making the curves different sizes to make a sort of staircase effect using gradation, starting big at the beginning and getting smaller and smaller near the end. I spent most of this model experimenting with measurements and drawing markers on the inside of the curves to get the balance and placement of them just right without the structure being crooked. A problem I found was keeping measurements accurate in order to keep the two axis skewers from going sideways instead of staying parallel. Also I went back to making the structure stand diagonal, though it was unstable that way. As for the ten skewers, I ended up putting two on one end and two on another to give the feel of compression and also to keep the curves in place and then did the same arrangement of one over the other in the middle three curves.

And then there was the final for the critique. Not only did we have to have a finished product, but also we had to have a graphic and drawings of the plan view and elevation views of the structure as well as contour and gesture drawings.


((On the graphic where it says 'glue dots' and 'rubber cement' I put an example of each since I had all my materials up for the project, they just didn't show up when scanned for some reason.))

No comments: