Monday, September 15, 2008

A "box" for 12 Twigs!

I'm now to my second project as an Iarc major and there seems to be a common theme in the materials we are using as our 'clients'. This task is to design a 'box' for twelve twigs, box meaning anything from holder to container to corral to cell or to sanctuary even! The term is very loose and open for interpretation! We started by gathering various twigs around campus and then took these twigs and sketched them out in various poses and also sketched out ideas to which they could be made to have a specific container. One of my first thoughts about the project was of Lincoln Logs that I had played with often at my grandmother's house (Hence my first sketch of them arranged so). But deciding it was very generic I switched gears to a certain twig I had found that had a lone fungus looking growth upon it, when talking with Vanessa I was reminded of the commercial of the guy having to design a house around a faucet. So why not design the "box" around this fungus to show it off? (Like a shadow box?)


Here are some of the first sketch models I did for our first critique on the project last Monday, the cube shaped one is the main one that I'm basing an idea on, the others were still on how I could make Lincoln logs into an idea. (Like making a box to embody them or separating the log layers into tiers)

*A Note: Still having trouble with craft in molding paper, but I am getting better at it I think! :)

No comments: