Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Leaf Project


Our first real studio project as Interior Architecture majors, design a place for a Leaf. Here are a couple of sketches:

These were my first couple of ideas and concepts when we were given the project, we were told to do Sketch Models and I mis-interprited that request by only doing sketches when a Sketch model is basically a 3D rough model of your ideas. I will remember that in the future.

Here are the first couple models I did starting from the left bulky pentagonal prism shape, to the thinner version of the first, and then to the cylindrical woven structure. My idea for the first two was to mimic the shape of the Ivy leaf and the form was to represent a stable structure going along with strength and stability that symbolizes the Ivy leaf I had picked. Then came the woven form because I wanted something more intricate and less bulky, still shows strength of the Ivy but then lost its shape reference and I didn't know what to do with the curly top pieces but the structure didn't look right with the tendrils cut completely off.

These next couple of models were my next couple of tries at making my idea of stability and the characteristics of the leaf, I stayed with the weaving idea to convey strength but also tried different shapes. Now the only problem seemed to be the scale of the place verses the leaf itself that was for the place. And of course I also needed to think about color too.

Here is the semi-final project with lighter colored paper.
And here is the final product of "a place for a leaf", I chose to use similar colors to embody leaf, dark and light to contrast the colors of the leaf and it's veins, and the tendrils at the bottom because the structure looked odd without them.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Rebecca - I like your final leaf project. Your choice of colors compliment each other. Grandma