Saturday, September 27, 2008

"Box" for Twelve Twigs Process

So despite what I said previously about my cube morphing into a Pyramid in the precedent post it has gone back to being a cube after the positive feedback at interum critique. This was an iteration where I tried making the twigs more uniform rather then just sticking them every which way randomly, I made them kind of into a staircase pattern with the fungi ridden twig in the center of the arrangement. For the top view of my project I decided to play around with light on the twigs by cutting a hole in the top of the cube to give the twigs a sort of spotlight to enhance showcasing them. I agree with my instructors in that the biggest problem with my design in the poor craft, as you can see in the image the corners are rough and the cut-outs and folds are uneven. Also my binding agent (Rubber Cement) is not used purposefully in the project other then to just simply bind. It is not incorporated.


To enhance my project, I worked on several iterations of my shadow box-like form in various colors and exploring a new binding agent called raffia (Which is made of paper too.) It started with a cream color box to enhance the color of the broken part of the twigs and the fungi with a contrasting brown raffia, then I used black paper to make the spotlight pop with cream colored raffia, but in doing this one found the paper to be too weak and it sagged under the weight of the twigs. So instead I used cream colored paper again and colored the inner part of the cube black to play with lights and darks, I also did the same with the last iteration but with a dark green and a light green with dark raffia.

No comments: