Sunday, September 14, 2008

Precedents

In class on Friday we talked about precedents and the study of them, precedents can be in the form of a building/structure, a product/artifact, or even an interior/ environment. A precedent itself is something that is an earlier occurrence of something similar.


For my current design of "A box for twelve twigs" I looked up precedents that reminded me of my project, it ended up mostly being a building or structure. One was the Grande Arche de la Fraternité in Paris. A giant cube-like monument to humanity in the business district designed by the architect Johann Otto van Spreckelsen. The overall shape mimics my cube design, though this is on a much larger scale then what I have created for my twigs, and mimics the cut outs in the front. Another structure that mimics my design is the Glass Apple Cube in Manhattan in front of the apple store. Once again it mimics the shape of my design but it also gives me a new take on what I could possibly do to enhance my design, the structure is made of clear glass so it can fully display the apple logo suspended in the cube. I might want to consider a more translucent paper to better show off my unusual fungus on the suspended stick in my original design...

For my newest design, my cube has morphed into a pyramid and so it now seems similar to a whole new bunch of precedents like the Pyramids of Egypt or the Meditation Pyramids. I actually looked at these precedents via Google and started to form my idea of having a pyramid shaped "box" for my twelve twigs. I'm going more along the line of a sanctuary for my twigs (Think ancient egypt and the pyramids.) rather then just a fancy container for them.

No comments: